Old Fashion Doughnut

There’s a lot to be said about the simple pleasures that I get from eating an old fashion doughnut or is it donut. The smell, taste, and the thought of the deep fried sweet dough puts a smile on my face every time.

The old fashion yeast raised doughnuts are on top of my childhood food memories. I can remember waking up and staggering in to the kitchen on Saturday morning to find my mom setting up for our afternoon snack.

I would help by measuring and mixing the dry ingredients in, at the time what I thought to be the biggest mixing bowl on the block. It’s too bad that I couldn’t get my hands on my mom’s recipe.

The closest recipe I found to what I recall having as a child comes from America’s Test Kitchen Holiday Baking issue 2007.

To make about 16 -2 ½ inch doughnuts and 1 ¼ inch holes you’ll first need to mix together in a medium size bowl the dry ingredients: 15 oz of all purpose flour; 1 envelope of instant yeast; 6 tablespoons of sugar; ½ teaspoon of salt.

In a standing mixer fitted with a dough hook, place 2/3 cups of room temperature whole milk and 2 large lightly beaten eggs. Mix in the dry ingredients on low speed until dough forms.

One piece at a time, add 6 tablespoons of diced butter, and mix on low until a soft dough forms. This will take approximately 3 – 4 minutes. Add the dough to a lightly oiled bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let it rise for 2 – 2 ½ hours at room temperature.

Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and roll out to ½ inch thickness. Cut the dough into rings and place rings and the holes on a floured baking sheet. Loosely cover with plastic wrap and let rise a second time for 30 – 45 minutes at room temperature.

When the doughnuts have risen, bring the frying oil to 375 degrees. ATK recommends 40 oz vegetable shortening. In batches add the holes and rings and fry until golden brown. Remove from heat and slightly cool before rolling them in a bowl sugar.

This recipe reminds me of what I had as a child. I hope that you enjoy these doughnuts as much as I do. Enjoy.





1 comment:

Baby Pope... said...

What about a good ole Caramel Apple?? Can I get me one of those??

Hahahha, I'm so happy that you are pursing your dreams.. it's about time :)